Heather Ann Thompson writes about, and consults regularly on, the history as well as present day implications of prisons, punishment and policing in the United States.
Below are the boards and commissions on which Thompson serves related to the subject of prisons, policing and other policy matters:
- Board Member, Alliance for Families for Justice, 2016-present
- Committee Member, Committee on Law and Justice, The National Academy of Sciences. 2018-present
- Advisory Council Member. Art for Justice Fund. 2017-present
- Advisory Committee Member. Committee on Law and Justice. The National Academies. Washington, DC. 2017-present
- Appointed Advisory Panel Member, Life of the Law Project. 2013-present
- Board Member, Prison Policy Initiative, 2012-present
- Editorial Board. Law and History Review. 2017-present
- Diversity Scholars Network. Member. 2017-present
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Advances in Sustainability and Environmental Justice. Journal.
- Advisor/Speaker. Humanize the Numbers Project. The University of Michigan. 2015-2016
- Advisory Board Member. Detroit Metropolitan Area Study Project. Institute for Social Research. The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. 2014-
- Appointed, Humanities Scholar for the Humanities Action Lab’s nationally traveling, multi-platform public humanities project on the history and human experience of incarceration. The New School for Public Engagement. Consulting scholar for project April 2015 – January 2016.
- Board Member, Labor and Working Class History Association, 2011-2014
- Advisory Board Member. Media and the Movement: Journalism, Civil Rights, and Black Power in the American South. Duke University and the University of North Carolina’s Southern Oral History Program in the Center for the Study of the American South.
- National Study Team Member. “The Causes and Consequences of High Rates of Incarceration in America.” Study funded by the National Academy of Sciences, The MacArthur Foundation, and the National Institute of Justice. Washington, D.C. 18 month study.
- Appointed Advisory Panel Member, The Future of Work Initiative. Open Society Institute. New York City, NY. 2014
- Advisor: Center for Community Change. 2014
- Member, Board of Directors. Eastern State Penitentiary, a Historical Site. Philadelphia, PA. 2011-2015
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Human and Civil Rights (University of Illinois Press). 2014
- Serving on panel of experts writing position paper on rebuilding the labor movement for the AFL-CIO: “The Future of Worker Representation.” Report to be presented to the AFL-CIO leadership at National Convention 2014.
- Appointed Editorial Board, Journal of Social Criminology. 2014
- Member, Scholars Strategy Network. http://www.scholarsstrategynetwork.org/
- Appointed to Board of Contributing Editors, Labor: Studies in Working Class History of the Americas, 2012-2015
- Appointed to Board of Contributing Editors, Labor: Studies in Working Class History of the Americas, 2006-2009
- Appointed to Advisory Board,Wayne State University Press: “African American Life Series,” 2004
- Elected to Board of Directors, Urban History Association. January, 2003
- Elected to Board of Directors, Labor and Working Class History Association. October, 2002